Day 9

Another sea day today, but it didn’t seem nearly as long as sea days past – probably because of the stop yesterday in Japan. It gave us a much needed break from the daily routine of the sea days.

Today was pretty much like the others except for “The Great Egg Drop”.

The Egg Drop is a contest that assigns teams of passengers to design a device able to protect a raw egg when dropped from the deck 7 balcony in the ship’s atrium. The distance is only about 25 feet to the floor on deck 5.

From our trivia team, three of us signed up separately. When we discovered that, two of us were going to give up our registrations and combine everyone into one team. We talked about our ideas and found we all had different ideas for devices. We decided to keep the three entries and work as a team to develop the devices. We figured we’d multiply our chances of winning. No matter which idea won, we would share the prize.

My idea was a padded basket dropped with a parachute to soften the landing. As a kid I made hundreds of parachutes out of trash bags and the coveted dry cleaning bags to send my little, plastic army men on the ride of their existences. Having done it so many times in the past, I was very confident it would work. After all we had almost a week to get it right.


We were led to believe the egg drop was going to be on the last or next to last sea day. That gave us plenty of time to develop our ideas. We had plans to do testing in the atrium a couple times late night after the ship pretty much goes to sleep. Well, that didn’t happen. When I woke up this morning, I turned on the TV to the daily “Wake Show”. It’s the daily information program featuring the Cruise Directors. As they were reading off the highlights of today’s activities, they mentioned the egg drop was going to be at 3:00pm. We had planned on late night testing tonight and tomorrow. Oh, well!

I got up grabbed my stuff and cut my parachute. I used dental floss for my shrouds and a box top from some snacks I got yesterday. I had it assembled in a little less than 45 minutes. At two o’clock, we met in the atrium to test our rigs. Mine worked well, but I still shortened the shrouds by 1/2, so the chute would open sooner. Jim’s didn’t work so well. He and Brenda retreated do some quick redesign work.

Soon enough, we were getting ready to drop. I was 3rd after one success and one failure of a couple others. Mine worked great! Of the total of 15 or so entries, about 3 failed. Those of who made it, got a couple of trinkets and moved to the second round. Three more failed – one because they couldn’t unpack the egg fast enough.

We nine teams who passed the second round were each awarded a bottle of champagne. Between the three teams our trivia group fielded, we managed 3 bottles. I was ready for more rounds, because I figured the teams who padded their egg from a freefall impact would eventually lose it. Mine was golden with the soft impact.

The cruise staff decided to stop after the second round.

That was the highlight of the day. Tomorrow, we stop in Vladivostok, Russia.

That’s it for now!