Day 14 (Part 2)

Qingdao, China – continued

After lunch, we once again boarded the bus and headed off.  This time, we stopped at a place called Little Fish Hill Park.  I’m still
not sure why they call it that.  There was a sign hung on the wall explaining it, but English translation just didn’t seem to make sense.

Once again, we were told there wasn’t a lot of time available for this stop.  However, we were encouraged to look around and explore a little.  So I did.  At the top of the hill stands a large pagoda type structure with a pretty fait amount of open ground with views of the surrounding area.

The main path up the hill was well maintained and clearly the way to the top.  What wasn’t so obvious was the trail around the backside of the park.  I was the only one wandering around in that area, as it seemed everyone else was sticking to the main area.  The park grounds are nicely maintained with numerous signs posted around to stay on the paths.  It was very tranquil with no one else around.

Of course my wanderings put me out of earshot for the announcement to head back down to the bus, so I ended up being the last one
back on board.  Soon after, we were off to our next and final “tourist-y” stop for the day:  The turn-of-the-twentieth-century German
occupying forces governor’s mansion.  Woo hoo!

I could really give a crap.  Granted, it’s a nice looking building, and I’m glad I took a few pictures.  I didn’t really care.  Maybe I was just tired from the day’s events.  One thing I did run across was a tree that seemed like member of the Birch family, but it’s bark was mottled, kinda like camoflage…

About 20 minutes later, we were herded back to the bus.  From there it was back to the ship.

Back on board, I dropped my stuff off in my cabin and headed up to the Calypso bar.  That’s where Bill
and Brenda hang out.  I had run into them earlier, after lunch when all the busses were filling up.  Their next stop was going to be the Tsingtao Brewery, because they were on the opposite direction on the tour.  I gave them some Chinese Yuan to pick up some beer for me, since it was unavailable to me this morning.  When I got up there, I discovered they had been successful, since there was a gift box type of package on the bar.  The three pints of beer cost me 10 yuan each.  That’s about $1.60 apiece.  A buck sixty a pint…  Not a bad price!

As I was slapping the hands of the people grabbing at my beer, the ship started to move.  Shortly, we were underway, and slowly moving out of the harbor.  Bill asked me if I had seen the submarines as we arrived this morning.  Submarines?  I grabbed my camera and headed to an outside upper deck to get a look.  Sure enough, there was the Chinese submarine pen at Qingdao.  I snapped a few pictures, and waved at the sailors on the last sub.  I have no idea if they saw me or someone else, but they waved back…

And then the Diamond Princess was on the way to Dalian, China.

Who needs Coca-cola???